Monday, September 13, 2010

Allyn & Bacon: Chapter's 1,2,3

In the first three chapters of the Allyn & Bacon Guide to Writing I learned quite a bit I did not already know, as well as refreshed my memory on a couple topics that I had forgotten about.  Most notably, something new that I learned was the difference between closed-form prose and open-form prose.  Closed-form prose is a more professional style of writing.  It features an exact, identifiable thesis statement, topic sentences, and an overall organizational structure for the piece.  Differently, open-form prose is a more unconventional style that features story telling and other methods.  Open-form prose is not as keen on the rules of grammar, as is closed-form prose style.

The first three chapters also helped to reiterate things that I have previously learned, such as the fact that the writer's job is to pose questions about their subject matter that will make the audience thing and evoke a good response.  A good writer needs to keep the reader wondering why you wrote what you wrote?  For what reason did the author include that detail in the story or piece.  This is a very important skill that I like to remind myself of frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment